Reading List

Spent the day setting up my classroom for the NEW school year. When I arrived on the scene at 7:45 am (if I don't get up and go I do not end up going) I was greeted with an AMAZON box. I brought home 6 books I NEED to read and wanted to share the titles with you . 


Wonder by R.J. Palacio
I just finished reading Wonder, and can confirm it is one of those books you finish quickly, because you can't step away from it. Auggie Pullman is a character you become instantly invested in and need to stand by his side and feel his experience along side him. Life is beautiful and mysterious, and a pure wonder. What role do you play in that? Choose kind.


Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead



Junonia by Kevin Henkes



Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
I read this touching and loving story in one morning. I so appreciate a story that can evoke a demand for animal empathy, compassion, and integrity, while being truthful, but not exposing too many truths, making one feel to sad to be reflective. This is a wonderful story that will touch any animal lover, and make you one if you are not already. This book is a true gem.
The inspiration behind the book & more information can be found on the website 
The One and Only Ivan





Explorer The Mystery Boxes  Edited by Kazu Kibuishi
This is actually a graphic novel anthology. Genius idea! All stories, written by a variety of graphic novel artists, revolve around a mysterious box. Graphic novel fans are sure to recognize a favorite writer or two. Raina Telgemeier (SMILE) and Jason Caffoe (125 pages of Amulet). I absolutely loved them all! Next stop, Flight series.

Cardboard by Doug TenNapel


Doug has made me a fan all over again. My appreciation for his graphic novels Bad Island and Ghostopolis led me to order Cardboard. The illustrations are juicy and they feel so substantial and lively. They have texture and dimension. It feels like you are watching a movie. Doug's characters are well developed and pull you into their setting in the first pages. While reading Cardboard, I heard myself whispering support out loud for the characters. I highly recommend his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment