- A local preschool needs a lending library and more informational text
- 5th grade students develop an idea for Literacy Backpacks (lending backpacks include an informational text(s) and supplemental activities
- Students establish community partners who are invested in enhancing the literacy experiences for preschool aged children by sponsoring a backpack
- The sponsor choose the theme and a backpack is created. The themes represent the sponsor's business, museum, or personal topic of interest (Native American Studies, Cooking, Boats)
- Building Club students offer to build bookshelf to house the backpacks at the preschool
- A Literacy Backpack Lending Library with 11 backpacks is established and are available for preschool students and their families to enjoy together
SHOWCASE in DENVER
I am so proud of my student's meaningful application of their skills, talents, and citizenship with addressing a community need, acting on a solution, and improving the world. If you are interested in Service Learning (all teachers are right?), you might want to check out KIDS Consortium, who provided a framework model for me to become a teacher who applies service learning to their pedagogy.