That's Not Hockey!



If you are a fan of hockey, this book is a must read. It is the true story about the goalie who invented the hockey mask.   I really like how the author unravels Jacques journey from a teased child with innovative hockey gear to a professional goalie.  Jacques came from a foundation of creativity and a love for the sport, through sustaining numerous harsh injuries to the face and head, to inventing and wearing the first hockey mask out on the ice.  Oh, and this hockey star- won six Stanley Cups.  His innovation and bravery changed the level of game play in terms of skills, confidence, and safety for the goalie. I appreciate how the author and illustrator don't sugar coat the reality of hockey, from stitches, broken noses, and blood on the ice, you get an idea of the experience on the ice. This is a great read aloud for Canadians, Mainers, and all hockey fan communities. I also recommend this picturebook as a mentor text for your biography units of study with older kids. The double spread full bleed illustrations are fantastic, realistic enough for the genre, yet active and interesting for children to look at. It is cool how the illustrations have a mix of colorful action and black and white in the background.  The amount of text is just right, with fluent lines and a repeating chorus, "Hey, that's not hockey!" I will be purchasing this book to share with my students. I love hockey and I love this important narrative about a vital contribution to the sport.


2 comments:

  1. Pardon me for stopping by to share a little info about the call for Cybils judges with you and your readers....

    Are you a reader who loves children's and young adult books? This call is for you. We need some wonderful book bloggers who are interested in reading a lot of children's or young adult books, reviewing them, and choosing the best of the best for the 2018 Cybils Awards.

    Please pass the word.

    Apply today! https://goo.gl/HtNB7p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear , Read aloud literacy

    My name is Benjamin, author of The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty,

    I am emailing you because I believe Read Aloud Literacy and its dedicated readers would be interested in learning more The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty. I would be honored if you would consider my book for review.

    By way of a back cover summary, The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty There is a Mystery at Omelets house. First, Humpty Dumpty notices that he gets a strange box with Danger written on it. Then Eggden's big Brother tells him that monster are real. Scary sounds start coming from next door in the middle of the night. Humpty Dumpty and Eggden have to figure out the mystery.

    To learn much more about me as an author, please see my full profile here: https://storiad.com/members/bjessieb2/projects/?share=A5750AE7,

    For a fun and quick way to get to know lots more about The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty, please see my ePressKit https://storiad.com/epresskits/the-monster-next-door-the-adventures-of-kid-humpty-dumpty/

    You can easily find excerpts of The Monster Next Door: The Adventures of Kid Humpty Dumpty on my ePressKit, as well as request a review copy in the format of your choice.

    Please feel free to drop me a line with any thoughts or questions you might have.

    Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

    All the best,

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete