Books about War

Set in Lebanon during the civil war (Beirut in 1977).

An orphaned elephant named Marlene, during World War II

It is important for students to think critically about the causes of conflicts and how to problem solve. After reading books with themes around war, readers reflected on their reading by making reflection collages. The conversations around the art and their reading demonstrate their comprehension.


I made this collage. It expresses how I think about war making people faceless and interchangeable, but not voiceless or any less personal.

I encourage my students to use collage for things like, illustrating their books, as a medium for posters, or for designing new book covers for one of their favorite books. Ask families to donate old magazines to your classroom for students to cut up and start using.
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys comes highly recommended. This is on my short list of must read books.

No comments:

Post a Comment